Monday, 21 July 2008

Chickenpox

I remember very clearly that I had my Chickenpox at the age of 20. It was a painful experience. My whole body itching and fever went up and down, worst is my mum forbid me from bathing during this period.

With the bad experience, I strongly do not want my child suffer the same situation like me. Therefore, when there was this Chickenpox vaccine for the children, I bring my girl to take the injection as soon as possible.

The injection was done in a private clinic 4 years ago, amount I cannot really remember but was around S$20 or S$30 more then the polyclinic (Current Polyclinic fees is S$65 and Private is S$85 + S$15 injection preparation + S$30 Consultant fees). After the jab, I thought I can rest my mind, but I am totally wrong!

My girl got her Chickenpox a year later. One of her classmate has the Chickenpox and was spread to her. I am shock and speechless at that point. As she was only 4 years old, is very difficult to expect her not to scratch her body. Luckily, only some red bumps appear on her face, and I guess the jab does help to reduce the amount of the bumps coming out.

To prevent her from scratching, I use the powder prescribe by the doctor to help relieve her itch. Also, I let her bath in cooked Soya water (take 1 cup of Soya bean to boil in a big pot of water, after the water boiled, throw away the Soya bean, leave the water for the child to bath), which i was told can reduced the bumps spreading and recover fast, and it really work on my girl.

Of course, there are a few ways to treat this Chickenpox, below are some of the others treatment which I gather the information:

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. Dissolve one cup of this soda into a bathtub filled with warm water and soak. It will relieve itching skin.

Cheerios. You can create your own anti-itch powder using Cheerios cereal. Just pour two cups of this cereal into a blender and blend into a fine powder. Pour this powder into a warm bath and soak. The oatmeal in it is what will soothe your itchy skin. (Warning: Be sure to cover the bath drain with a mesh covering in order to avoid clogging-up your tub.)

Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel. Use this Gel as a body wash as your shower. The analgesic properties in it will attack any itch. It will also help you smell fresh.

Kingsford's Corn Starch and Johnson's Baby Oil. Mix baby oil, corn starch and a little water to make a paste. Then, apply this oil to the areas on your body that itch. It's one way to focus on the most irritating areas of your body without a full submersion into some type of concoction.

Phillips's Milk of Magnesia or Calamine Lotion. Use a cotton ball to apply this lotion to soothe chicken pox.

Quaker Oats and L'eggs Sheer Energy Panty Hose. Make an oatmeal anti-itch bath using these two products. Pour one cup of Quaker Oats into a blender and blend into a powder. Transfer it into the cut off foot of a clean pair of L'eggs Sheer Energy Panty Hose. Then tie a knot. Hang it under the spigot of a bathtub and run warm water. Soak in it for thirty-minutes and your itch will go away.

Soothing Baths. Frequent baths are sometimes helpful to relieve itching. Adding finely-ground (colloidal) oatmeal such as Aveeno can help improve itching. Oatmeal baths can be prepared at home also by grinding or blending dry oatmeal into a fine powder and adding about 2 cups to the bath water. One-half to one cup of baking soda may also be added to bath water to reduce itching.

There are also some Chinese herb can help in treating Chickenpox too:

Chinese Olive & Phragmites Tea (Qing Guo Lu Gen Cha)

Chinese olive, i.e., Fructus Canarii (Qing Guo) 30 grams

Rhizoma Phragmitis Communis (Lu Gen) 60 grams

Method of administration: Pound the olives into pieces and cut the phragmites into pieces. Boil these together with water and drink the resulting liquid as a tea.

Functions: Clears heat and resolves toxins, engender fluids and disinhibits the throat

Indications: This tea is suitable for the treatment of chickenpox during its initial stage with fever and a red, painful throat or, in other words, when it exhibits a wind heat exterior pattern.

Phragmites & Chrysanthemum Tea (Lu Ju Cha)

Rhizoma Phragmitis Communis (Lu Gen) 60 grams

Wild chrysanthemum flower, i.e., Flos Chrysanthemi Indici (Ye Ju Hua) 10 grams

Method of administration: Cut the phragmitcs into pieces and then boil these pieces and the chrysanthemum flowers with water. Drink the liquid as a tea.

Functions: Clears heat and resolves toxins, engenders fluids and stops thirst

Indications: This tea is suitable for the treatment of chickenpox manifesting as a pattern of heat toxins.

Things that need to take note:

  • Do not give aspirin to a child without first contacting the child's physician.
  • Do not let your child take black source as it will leave black marks.
  • Let your child rest more.
  • Eat healthy meals to boost your child immune system.
  • Trim your child finger nails so they will not scratch the rash.

With my girl’s experience, I will not be panic if my younger son has Chickenpox. To get him jab for the vaccine or not is still a big question for me. But at least if I let him had the vaccine, I will not be shock if he still get the Chickenpox and will expect less bumps on him too.